I was actually lucky enough to win a copy of Splatypus during a giveaway over on Unleashing Readers. A huge thank you to Kellee and Ricki who run the amazing blog. While it was created as a resource for teachers, anyone looking for some good books to add to their to-be-read piles should check out their blog.
At a glance:
- Fun, bouncy lines goes right along with the story
- beautiful, texture-ful illustrations
- great message about trying new things, making mistakes, and being different
- The main character is a PLATYPUS (that’s one of my favorite animals)
- The rhyme scheme tripped me up a few times, but went more smoothly on a 2nd reading
I have a friend that likes to call me a platypus. She says I’m a little bit of this and that and I don’t quite fit into any one mold. I like to try a little bit of everything in life. So I can relate to the platypus in this book. Platypus sees other animals having fun jumping, climbing, and running so he decides to give it a whirl. But he’s not as good at the other animals.